Saturday 25 August 2012

The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer

The Demon Catchers of Milan
Pages: 288
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Released: August 2012

Plot: American teen Mia is possessed by a demon. Sent of to live with relatives she has never met before in Milan, Mia learns that her family has a hidden secret, they are demon trappers. Not only will Mia learn to
live in a new palce and make new friends, but she also has to deal with learning anew language and the ancient traditions of her family, whilst also falling in and out of love.

Good Points: At first I liked how the book dropped you off straight away within the changes of Mia's life and her move to Milan which sounds like an amazing place that I would love to visit. The scenes included tons of description that really set this great Italian mood.
I was also really taken to how the book teaches you a little basic Italian to give you just a tiny taster of what Mia is going through, being submerged in the language and a new country and I though Mia dealt quite well with this.

Bad Points: I really did want great things for this book, but it just didn't seem to grab me at all. Being a paranormal romance book you expect romance but to be honest there just wasn't any. Mia had a couple of crushes, one being with a distant related cousin (like that makes it any better...) and Lucifero who was one of the only characters who had real depth and something interesting about him but then got carted off to the hospital half way through the book never to be seen again. This in my opinion was a BIG mistake! It would have given a platform for the story to get a little more exciting, you could have had the betrayal of Mia with Lucifero being a demon lover and all to a Shakespearian level of drama. But no. We got people fighting of demons using some bells, candles and some old words.
It just got a little boring.

To Sum Up... Not really sure if I liked this book. Yes at times there were moments in the book that I really loved but I just don't think they were developed great. The characters all seemed to blur together after a while and I just don't think the story got anywhere. However I have to give credit to the author for the setting of the book which is just beautiful and the descriptions of the food were making me hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...