Sunday 13 May 2012

Review of Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth


Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Pages: 545
Publisher: Harper Collins Book Publishing
Released: 1st May 2012


Plot Summary: The sequel to award winning Divergent by Veronica Roth. Tris and Four have escaped after the events of the attacks from Erudite and are on their way to Amity, the peaceful faction. Tris must now embrace the fact that she is Divergent and on the run whilst coping with the grief of her loss and ever revealing secrets that will change her world forever. Action packed and thrilling, Insurgent packs in a whole lot of drama.


Good Points: I really enjoyed how the characters developed and you got a feel of what Tris was going through after the loss of characters in the first book Divergent. I also liked the struggle-some relationship between herself and Four and the problems they run into. Insurgent starts pretty much where Divergent left off which I thought was quite unique and you definitely benefit if you read the books consecutively as it feels like one volume. The exploration and detail into some of the other factions such as Amity also helped to create a sense of the segregation and difference between each state and I was pleasantly surprised by the factionless way of life as well and the characters that were introduced. There were lots of 'shockers' within the story which added tension to the plot preparing for the final book in the trilogy which will be released next.


Bad Points: I really got fed up with the constant introduction of characters and developing them into the storyline to be quickly killed off a couple of pages later. If this had just happened once or twice I wouldn't have been that bothered but it seemed to happen frequently. Although yes, you could argue that in some cases it was necessary and showing the effects of war but in my opinion it just took on a repetitive streak that copied the brutality of such series's as the hunger games. I enjoyed the book , however was a little disappointed.

To sum up: Despite these few criticisms I did enjoy the book and will look out for the concluding book in the trilogy when it comes out.



1 comment:

  1. Great review! I fully agree with you on the bad point(s). I really liked some of the characters Roth decided to kill of just after I got to know them. Still, it was a very important part of the book, so it just had to be this way, I guess...

    xo Mar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...