Wednesday 18 July 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass



Pages: 327

Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: April 2012

Plot: Set in the future in the country of Illea, 35 girls compete to win the heart of Prince Maxon in the Selection a competition.However for America Singer, being selected is her worse nightmare, it means turning away from her secret love Aspen and a very different way of life all for a title she doesn't want.
However when America meets Prince Maxon she begins to question everything that prompted her not wanting to be there. Will she change her mind?

Good Points: Okay, I really liked the book, I thought the dialogue worked well aside from a few little annoying bits and the character of America was built up well. I liked her strong determined side and the ongoing relationship between her and Maxon and it didn't take long for me to read the book mainly because I never put it down! Yes, I can understand why people who have read the book have compared it to the likes of the Hunger Games and The bachelor however I didn't think this was really fair. I don't think you can keep labelling books 'The Hunger Games' if it's a competition or set in the future or whatever, In my own opinion I thought the book more suited the idea of Cinderella as a sort of Rags-To Ritches tale that we're still awaiting to find out the happy ending to.

Bad Points: If I'm honest I really hated the name America Singer, I know there is probably going to be some underline message in their somewhere especially because of the secret-history-books-hidden thing the story has going for it, but I just didn't like it. I didn't realise the book was a series, so that was a bit of a shock but I don't really think that can be deemed a bad point because I can't wait for the next book!!!
Because there were so many characters (35 girls) you didn't really get to experience much from all of them and so I would have liked a little more character interaction.

To Sum Up.... I really did enjoy this book and cannot wait for the next one. I have heard rumours of a TV series being picked up ( check it out on IMDB) so that is quite exciting, however I just hope that they keep it like the book and don't try to play into the idea of the Hunger Games. Otherwise, a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed. :D
And OOoooo pwerty cover ;)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know the book was the first in a series too - I was shocked at the abrupt ending! I still enjoyed it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've nominated you for a book blogger award! Check it out: http://anawfullotofreading.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/versatile-book-blogger-award.html
    Nice review by the way, I've heard good things about this book, I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an ARC of this one and oh, I loved it! Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Though you're right about the silly names :)

    New follower from Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...