Sunday 23 September 2012

The Dark Heroine by Abigail Gibbs

SMALL NOTE: THIS BOOKS ISN'T REALLY TEEN, BUT I'LL REVIEW IT ANYWAY :)

Pages: 549
The Dark Heroine: Dinner With a VampirePublisher: Harper Voyager
Release: October 2012

Plot: For Violet Lee, a chance encounter on a darkened street draws her into a world beyond her wildest imaginings, a timeless place of vast elegance and immeasurable wealth – of beautiful mansions and lavish parties – where a decadent group of friends live for pleasure alone. A place from which there is no escape… no matter how hard Violet tries.

Yet all the riches in the world can’t mask the darkness that lies beneath the gilded surface, embodied in the charismatic but dangerous Kaspar Varn.

Violet and Kaspar surrender to a passion that transcends their separate worlds – but it’s a passion that comes at a price…


My Opinion...
(BTW. I'm not using the same format I usually do on this one)

Okay, so I just finished this book and to be honest I'm a little confused whether I actually liked it or not. This being mainly down to me trying to work out what type of book it was. 
Everything about the plot screamed teen fiction to me, but teen fiction it certainly is not, with some of the scenes definitely going to a level of fifty shades.
Maybe it needed a more mature cover?

The main character Violet Lee is pretty much your typical teenager, or so you think... You soon see Violet being transformed into the world of Vampires and royalty to which she inevitably becomes tangled in. Although I liked the development of the character I have to admit I got a little annoyed her constant crying. What can I say, I'm not a fan of the tears...


Kaspar is looks like very other drop dead gorgeous vampire in literature, though this time described like the author advertised a little more bloody which I liked. 

The author didn't shy away from killing a couple of people and reinforcing that Vampires are the classic predator unlike some books where the main protagonist spends half the book trying to change him. 
(Have to admit though there were glimpses of this in the book but it didn't over power the story)

Overall, I'd say the book was well plotted and wasn't too predictable... however, and I have to say it... I was a little sceptical as to how no one realised it was her. (If you've read the book, you probably know what I'm on about.) I think I was actually screaming It's her! It's her! at one point -__-


On the other hand, the book did leave some things to be surprised and there were elements towards the end that left you googling for the release of the next book I did feel that maybe it was just a little too long. Usually I don't mind this but for some reason this time it did. But you can clearly see why this book got something like 17 million hits on wattpad.

Try the book for yourself though :)


1 comment:

  1. Wow this sounds so interesting and I'm glad certain scenes didn't over power the main plot. Overall brilliant review!
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...